NOTE: This solution applies to DocuShare 3.x and Windows 2000
Command Line Length Exceeded Character Limitation for MSDE
In some system configurations the default database used by DocuShare 3.x, Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (MSDE), may fail to install or the installation may not function correctly. You may also receive a message similar to:
Error - cannot load SQL Server Setup (87): C:\Documen~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\pft~tmp\x86\setup\sqlstp.exe. Command line length exceeded - place the files referenced by the -f1 and -f2 command line arguments in a shorter path.
This error is caused because the Temp directory in Windows 2000 is often several directories deep the command line length may exceed the 125 character limitation for MSDE.
NOTE: You must be a Windows Administrator to perform this solution.
How To Change the Temp Directory used in Windows 2000
1. Right click on My Computer icon on the desktop and select Properties. The System Properties window displays.
2. Click the Advanced Tab
3. Click the Environment Variables button. The Environment Variables window displays.
4. Under the System variables menu scroll down the list and highlight TEMP
5. Click the Edit button. The Edit System Variables window displays.
6. Select a TEMP location with a shorter path. Example: C:\temp
7. Click OK button. You will be returned to the Environment Variables window
8. Click OK button again to accept the changes. You will be returned to the System Properties window.
9. Click OK button.
10. Run the DocuShare installation again.
Solution Published: March 1,2007