What's New in this Release
- Content indexing of additional file formats such as Office 2013, Ichitaro 2012/2013, and AutoCAD 2012/2013.
- New version of the Mobile Client Connector to support the Xerox Mobile Client for DocuShare version 1.5.
- Inclusion of the latest version of Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express database.
- Enhancements to DocuShare OCR 2.0 for support of document conversion to current versions of Microsoft Office when creating content rules.
- Support for Microsoft Windows 2012 R2 Standard and Datacenter Editions operating systems.
- Support for DocuShare Express running on Microsoft Windows Server 2012.
- Support for Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 and Apple Safari 7 web browsers.
- Support for the European Union (EU) rules on cookies.
- Language packs for Italian and Brazilian Portuguese.
License String Requirements
- Upgrades from 6.5.3 to release 6.6.1 R2 require a new license string.
- New installations of 6.6.1 R2 require a license string.
Manually start IDOL to upgrade the reference index
After upgrading to DocuShare 6.6.1, manually start IDOL in order to upgrade the reference index of the existing data index. Depending on the size of the current reference index data, startup duration could be lengthy.
For a single instance of IDOL, use the following procedure:
For multiple instances of IDOL, please contact DocuShare Customer Support.
- Stop DocuShare.
- In a command window, run AutonomyDiSH.exe.
- Then run AutonomyIDOLServer.exe. This command starts content.exe.
- Look for the startup status in ds/IDOLServer/IDOL/logs/content_application.log.
If startup takes longer than 15 minutes to complete, a message that the AutonomyIDOLServer failed to start appears in the log. Ignore this message. Content.exe will continue to run.
Startup has finished when the message ACI Server attached to port 9010 appears in the log.
- After the startup finishes, check the application log for errors.
- If there are no errors written in the log, do the following:
- Stop AutonomyIDOLServer.exe and AutonomyDiSH.exe by using Ctrl-C, or the Task Manager, or kill the processes.
- Start DocuShare.
- If there are errors written in the log, do the following:
- Allow AutonomyDiSH.exe to continue to run or restart the .exe it if it is not running.
- Stop AutonomyIDOLServer.exe by using Ctrl-C or by killing the process.
- Edit ds/IDOLServer/IDOL/AutonomyIDOLServer.cfg by adding RegenerateRefIndex=TRUE under the [Server] section.
- Manually start AutonomyIDOLServer.exe and wait for startup to finish.
- When startup has finished, edit ds/IDOLServer/IDOL/AutonomyIDOLServer.cfg by removing RegenerateRefIndex=TRUE that you added in step c.
- Stop AutonomyDiSH.exe and AutonomyIDOLServer.exe.
- Stop content.exe if it is still running after you stopped AutonomyIDOLServer.exe.
- Start DocuShare.
Improved verifyContentStore utility
- An improved verifyContentStore utility checks and fixes incorrect file sizes of document rendition files. The utility now includes -quickCheck_content_size and -quickFix_content_size options. These options make it easier to check for and fix the issue. This issue can affect some sites after upgrading from 6.0.1 or 6.5.3 to 6.6.1. If your organization monitors the Repository Use report or enforces user quotas for Document Content Size, then you should run the verifyContentStore utility after upgrading. The utility is located in the <DSHOME>/bin directory.
Upgrades and DocuShare on 32-bit operating systems
- If you are upgrading a version of DocuShare that is running on a 32-bit operating system to release 6.6.1, you must follow a specific upgrade procedure. Refer to the article titled "How to Upgrade to DocuShare 6.6.1 64-bit from a Previous Version of 32-bit DocuShare" in the DocuShare Knowledge Base.
Send daily and weekly notifications before an upgrade
- Before upgrading to 6.6.1 from releases 5.x and later, ensure that daily and weekly email notifications are sent and cleared from the queue to prevent loss of pending notifications. Refer to the DocuShare Installation Guide for more information.
Upgrades on sites with multiple content store partitions
Some sites are using a feature referred to as multiple content store partitions. Before upgrading to 6.6.1, determine if your site uses this feature. Open the file named ContentStore.properties, which is located in the config directory. Then look for an entry that includes the words ContentStoreRoot. If the file includes multiple ContentStoreRoot entries and each entry is appended with a number (for example, ContentStoreRoot0, ContentStoreRoot1, ContentStoreRoot2), then your site is using multiple content store partitions. If the file includes a single entry, ContentStoreRoot, then your site is not using multiple content store partitions.
To ensure that your content store partitions are supported in DocuShare 6.6.1, follow these steps before you upgrade:
- Make a copy of the ContentStore.properties file.
- Perform the upgrade.
- Replace the ContentStore.properties file with the copy of the file you created in step 1.
- Start DocuShare.
If your site is using multiple content store partitions and you upgrade to DocuShare 6.6.1 without performing the steps above, your users can receive errors when they try to view document content.
Note: DocuShare 6.6.1 creates a new configuration file named ContentStore.xml. Although the ContentStore.properties file remains in the config directory, it is not used for access to content files. The XML file is used instead.
Re-indexing IDOL search indexes may be required after upgrading
Some upgraded servers may have an existing problem where objects with multiple parents were not properly indexed for search. At a convenient time, after upgrading to DocuShare 6.6.1 R2/Update 2, run the following command find and index these objects:
Options: -h (Help); -debug (set log level to debug mode); -index (automatically index affected handles. The command does not ask if you want to index the objects.)
Note: Indexing may take a long time to complete on sites with a large number of multiple parent objects. Alternatively, you can run the dsindex utility with the index_all option after upgrading to index the multiple parent objects.
System Requirements Notes
Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express is not supported on Windows Server 2003. It is supported on Windows Servers 2008 and 2012 only.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express requires .NET Framework 3.5 to be installed on the Windows Server 2012 R2 before installing DocuShare 6.6.1 R2.
DocuShare installs with PostgreSQL 9.x
- If you are using the PostgreSQL 9 database, the DocuShare installation will continue even though PostgreSQL 8.4.4 is the currently supported version.
Upgrades and URLs and virtual root path names
- When upgrading to 6.6.1 Update 2, make sure all URLs and virtual root path names are in lowercase only. Otherwise, DocuShare will not restart.
Full re-index or full export/import of the IDOL search indexes required
Installation of release 6.6.1 on a Solaris server installs a 64-bit version of the IDOL search and index engine. Therefore, if you are upgrading from 6.5.3 to 6.6.1, you will need to re-index your site. You can use either of the following methods for re-indexing.
Note: If you already installed DocuShare 6.5.3 Patch 2 Hot Fix 3, then you do not need to re-index your site. You can proceed with the upgrade.
- Upgrade to 6.6.1.
- Run dsindex.sh index_all.
Full export/import of indexes
- Before the upgrade, export the index data by running idoltool.sh:
>idoltool -s export <exportdir>
<exportdir> is the full pathname to an existing, empty directory. The export operation is best done during off hours. The typical export speed is 45 minutes per one million objects (content indexed).
- Upgrade to 6.6.1.
- Import the index data by running idoltool.sh:
>idoltool -s import <exportdir>
<exportdir> is the same directory used in step 1. Again, the import operation is best done during off hours. The typical import speed is approximately 6 hours per one million objects (content indexed).
Language Pack Requirements
- You must install the language packs for 6.6.1 Update 2 if 6.6.1 Update 1 language packs were installed. Therefore, after installing 6.6.1 Update 2, install the language packs for 6.6.1 Update 2.
Multiple DocuShare instances on the same server
- If you have other instances of DocuShare running on the same server, make sure those instances are running before installing additional instances.
MIME Type assignment method
- New installations of DocuShare 6.6.1 set the MIME Type Assignment Method to use the file extension algorithm. Upgrades to DocuShare 6.6.1 preserve the existing MIME Type Assignment Method setting. If you are upgrading to 6.6.1 and the MIME Type Assignment Method is set to use the file content algorithm, it is strongly recommended that you change the MIME Type Assignment Method to the file extension algorithm. Using the file content algorithm consumes system resources, which can affect performance. To change the MIME Type Assignment Method, use the Site Management | MIME Types page in the Admin UI.
Fixes in the Release
- Administration Interface
-  When DocuShare is configured to log out inactive users after a specified number of minutes, an error no longer occurs when running a search after the time elapsed. Instead, users are prompted to log in and enter the search terms again.
-  UI improvements were made to the Content Store Configuration page in the Administration interface.
-  Scan to Email using an IMAP email server and SSL now works.
-  An error no longer occurs when changing the Length value for the MailMessage object To property.
- Command Line Utilities
-  Running dsindex index_all does not call resizeindexcache.
-  Running dsindex index_all with additional parameters now calls recoverIndex -autorecover.
-  A new input parameter, database parameters, supports adding database parameter settings such as SelectMethod=cursor.
- Developer Tools
-  DSSession.search method now returns the correct number of results for a DSQuery that uses a max limit.
- Document Routing and Approval
-  The calendar window now opens on the Choose Escalation and Notification page in the Routing Slip.
-  Long filenames of documents display correctly in the Routing Slip.
- Installation and Upgrade
-  After an upgrade, the Repository Use report now records the correct content size information.
-  Email notifications for expunged objects are no longer sent to users who do not have access to the objects.
-  The URLs provided in plain text email notification are now complete.
- Searching and Indexing
-  When DocuShare is configured with multiple instances of content.exe, the index server now waits for the index job to complete before processing another index job.
-  Cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerabilities are fixed.
-  Updated version of Apache Tomcat addresses security vulnerabilities.
- Web Interface
-  The calendar window now opens for a custom date property on the Add Topic page.
-  Incorrect dates no longer display when using the calendar windows on the Change History page.
-  Attachments are uploaded successfully using the Email Agent with Apple Mail.
-  Document uploads now complete successfully using AnyClient and Cyberduck applications via WebDAV.
Additional Information and Support
Click here for any updates to this document. The latest information regarding DocuShare can be found on the DocuShare web site.