MSDE Database May Grow Beyond 2GB When Upgrading DocuShare
Note: This solution applies to version of DocuShare pre 3.1 running on MSDE and upgrading to a newer version of DocuShare
The MSDE Database size must be verified before upgrading a DocuShare Server to version 3.1 or higher, because DocuShare 3.1 and higher use the UNICODE character encoding standard and earlier versions of DocuShare did not enforce UNICODE encoding. Therefore, the conversion to UNICODE can cause the database to grow in size. This is an issue because the MSDE 2GB limitation could be exceeded when upgrading and may cause MSDE to become unusable.
Verify the DocuShare installation is using MSDE and check the size of the database before upgrading to avoid corrupting the database
How To Verify if MSDE is Being Used by DocuShare and Check the Database File Size
- At the DocuShare server console open My Computer by double clicking the desktop icon.
- Use My Computer to navigate to the Xerox\DocuShare directory.
Note: Install directory path may vary depending on the options chosen during the installation of DocuShare.
- Locate the JDBCPropertyBean.properties file in the Xerox\Docushare\config directory.
- Open the JDBCPropertyBean.properties file with an ASCII text editor such as Notepad.
- Inside the file locate the configuration property providerName=. If this is providerName=MSDE your DocuShare server is using MSDE for a database.
Note: If the providerName= is not MSDE, close the JDBCPropertyBean.properties file and continue with upgrading DocuShare.
- Locate the configuration property database=. Take note of the database name. Typically this will be database=Docushare, indicating the database name is Docushare
- Close the JDBCPropertyBean.properties file.
- Use my computer to navigate to the Xerox\Docushare\MSDE\DATA directory.
- Inside the Xerox\Docushare\DATA directory there will be two database files that match the Database name you took note of from the JDBCPropertyBean.properties file.
Note: The default names for the files are Docushare.mdf and Docushare_log.LDF.
- Make note of the exact file size of each of the database files by right clicking on the file name then select Properties from the Context menu to display the file properties and file size.
- Add the file size of the Docushare.mdf and the Docushare_log.LDF files together. The total sum should not exceed 1GB (1,073,741,824 bytes).
- If the file sizes do not exceed 1 GB, continue with the upgrading the DocuShare Server.
Note: If the sum total size of the two files exceeds 1GB you will have to upgrade the database to Microsoft SQL Server before upgrading DocuShare. Contact Xerox DocuShare Technical Support Team at 1-800-835-9013 for information about the Enterprise Database Connector for DocuShare.
Solution Updated: August 11th, 2011
Solution ID: 31